Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What have you done recently to showcase your  digital immigrant accent? I am not sure that I have done any of the things Prensky calls a digital accent. These are things my mother in law does. I also find the article a tad condescending. Just because we were not born in the 80's or later does not mean we are digital immigrants. I would submit some of us are digital pioneers. We are the ones who used TRS 80s and card readers. We acquired our knowledge of technology before Steve Jobs and Bill Gates made it so idiot proof.
Does Prensky realize that Sesame Street is 45 years old and also predates the PC? Does he know that Schoolhouse Rock debuted in 1973?


Prensky states “Digital Immigrant instructors, who speak an outdated language (that of the pre-digital age), are struggling to teach a population that speaks an entirely new language.” Is this argument still valid?
I think that Mr. Prensky lives in a world where resources are a tad more plentiful than in Beaverton OR. I would love to use digital resources and have used them quite a bit when I taught in a state and town that understood the importance of 21 Century instruction. I used Smartboard games and lessons I created, I had children using Google Maps to study their town, we abandoned textbooks in favor of digital resources.I had computers as centers while I was doing small group instruction. I used iClickers for formative assessments. Now I use a computer projected onto a canvas screen! It is hard to teach technology to children who have none at their fingertips. The other issue is what do the poor students in our district have at home? Even in my Title I school in Vermont, 80% of my kids reported that they could use mom or dad's computer or had one of their own. That is not the case here in Oregon.
I think that the author is confused as to who the biggest digital immigrants are...HINT they control ed funding. We have a Senate Majority Leader who proudly claims he has never written an email. YIKES!

As educators, are we now facing new problems that Prensky did not anticipate?
I think Mr. Prensky did not anticipate in 2001 that there would be schools in 2015 who did not provide adequate technology to teach a class of 21 (!) kindergarteners. I am sure his children do not go to such a school. School funding and school priorities vary from region to region, but I do not see technology increasing in schools when budgets to keep class sizes to a reasonable level are hard to pass. I know when my old school went to the 1:1 in the middle and high school there was a lot of community push back, but we had a curriculum coordinator who could speak eloquently about 21st century skills, and a school board that included engineers from IBM who could sell it to our town. Of course there was ARRA (stimulus) money for some of those ventures and that money has dried up.

No comments:

Post a Comment